Friday, December 29, 2006

good green scarf

Here it is, my Irish Hiking Scarf! It's off to a good start and I'm loving the progress so far. Lamb's Pride Bulky knits up quickly!

I found the pattern thanks to the Yarn Harlot and promptly got lost looking around the Irish Hiking Scarf Knitalong. I spend enough time knitting and blogging, so I guess it's time that I joined a knitalong, right?

I did already change the pattern though. Since I'm doing it in such a bulky yarn compared to what the pattern calls for, I didn't want it to be too wide. So I cast on fewer stitches and replaced the center ribbing-and-cable sandwich with a seed stitch column. I also twisted one of the cables the opposite direction, since the symmetry with the seed stitch column was irresistible.

I just heard that a huge 3,000-year old ice shelf has broken off near the North Pole - seriously! I'm listening to this on NPR right now. Global warming, anyone? Tell me again why I'm knitting up this scarf when it's 40 degrees and rainy here in Minnesota and it's almost New Year's...

So I will make this my good scarf. The "good" for which I'm knitting it is...efforts to stop global warming. Yeah, that sounds good. And it's even "green."
_______________________
"Sweet" Jackson Story of the Day

He just discovered the toilet paper.

3 comments:

Aunt Jenny said...

Just beautiful Catherine!

Melissa Perreault said...

I love this scarf!! I signed up for the KAL too, thanks for sharing with us!! I've been wanting to learn cables and this is just the right way to do it. I really like your changes, think I will copy yours, seems less bulky and soooo pretty.

Knittymama said...

Okay, the ice shelf thing? That's just freaky, freaky, freaky....grrrr, I get so mad at the big dudes for ignoring this so long.

T.P???? I could wrap my entire house in the amount that has been unravelled around here. Good luck with that :-)