Sunday, December 17, 2006

Severe Blocking Results and APS Report

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear Catherine, happy birthday to me!

And what a day it was. Let's start off with the birthday loot. There's really a lot more exciting stuff to talk about today, but I was honestly just so surprised that I received anything today that these gifts sort of blew me away (seriously, I thought that being a momma now meant that I didn't get gifts anymore!).

Dear hubby wins one million points towards the title of "Amazing Husband of the Year" award with his clever and creative gift: "Herbivores Make Better Lovers" t-shirt (he loves Schell's and his company does the ads...), a bunch of metal buttons with dragonflies that he picked out for me because he thinks it's time that I knit something for myself again (like a sweater...), and a YARN BALL WINDER! Oh wow. He went to a yarn store and bought me a yarn ball winder. I love you, Dan. I absolutely love you. MWAH.

Dan gets major bonus points for also arranging for "Grama Babysitting Service" for tonight and whisking me away to a special dinner at a new restaurant downtown, Spoonriver. Roasted squash croquettes, vegetarian pot pie with crimini mushrooms and puff-pastry, spinach salad with pomagranate dressing, hazelnut toffee for dessert and a wonderful Pinot Noir to wash it all down. Decaf espresso for the finale. Yum. MAJOR points.

The Grandmamas/papas gave me Mason-Dixon Knitting (how cool?! how perfect?! I just returned my reserve copy to the library and was waiting to get it on loan again...awesome timing and now it's mine, all mine!), a set of very cool bath oils (relaxation time on the horizon for the New Year?) and a gift certificate to Needlework Unlimited. Thank you, thank you! My family knows me well...

In other (and more important) news of the day: Today was the big dedication at church for Jackson and boy, did it go smoothly. It was so fun, so creative* and so meaningful. We had almost 20 friends and family members in attendance, including Jackson's Opi who made a special trip from the East Coast just for the ceremony. It was really amazing to have so many people come out to support our family in this new adventure in all of our lives. So without further ado (and because I'm very, very tired and need to stop typing soon), I present to you, dear readers of y&g, (some of) the weekend's photos:
They hadn't seen each other in four months, but Jackson seemed to remember his Opi!
Playing with Cousin Tommy at the church
"Helping" Tommy with his socks...
Jackson Thomas, a Big Boy about to be Dedicated**...
Proud parents...
...and proud grandparents!
During the ceremony...
...and with Reverend Rivas
Back home at the reception afterwards. Showing off his "walking" skills with his push-cart while buddy Ethan tries to help.
After everyone left...still working on the "Big Boy" stuff like looking out windows to see where everyone went.
Wrapping up the day with stories from Opi before his flight home. Mother Goose never sounded so good!
_____________________________
*The Children's Holiday Pageant was held today at church and boy, was it creative. We're talking angels with striped tights and chunky heels, an entire Ark's worth of (kids dressed up as) animals including goldfish, tigers, dragons along with your usual barnyard fare, and the cherry-on-top for creativity: the APS. Angel Parcel Service. These angels wheeled into the church on roller blades, scooters, and unicycles wearing helmets, padding and black attire marked "APS" to deliver a very important package to Mary. Hence, Mary "delivered" her babe in the manger. Oh what fun. Unitarians rock!
______________________________
**Yes, that's THE sweater that Jackson is wearing. It ended up fitting him beautifully today and may still fit for another month or so. I must admit, that he looked dapper in it and I was quite proud. Especially when the Reverend asked first thing upon greeting us this morning "What a lovely sweater Jackson's wearing! Did someone make that for him?" (((beam, beam))) Every knitter wants to be asked that question. It was asked a few more times today too, and I was all a-beaming. All's well that ends well.

Jackson's Dedication Sweater Details
Yarn: Very special yarn from Gale Woods Farm, the place where Dan and I were married - worsted weight in a heathery green, 2 skeins, 420 yards
Needles: US5
Gauge: I don't want to talk about it.
Pattern: "Trellis" from Knitty (thank you, Britta!)
Notions: Would you get a load of those adorable "Small Potatoes" buttons?!
Notes/issues: I changed the left twist in the pattern to a regular cable (C4F) with a twist every 6 rows. This turned out to be much easier and showed up better than the twist. Issues with the boy growing during knitting, issues with the sleeves being too long (at least seed stitch cuffs nicely) and issues with blocking. It all turned out beautifully in the end though!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Opi gets a special thank you for making it out to Minneapolis this weekend. We all had a great time and were proud to have him stand by us on Sunday, representing the rest of our family Out East!

Mama Grouch said...

Major props to Dan, what a thoughtful bunch of gifts! I do have to warn him to watch out as other dads might start gunning for him when we show them how birthdays should be done. I about melted with the whole "buttons because I should knit myself something" thing. The EP better watch out, the bar has been set really high.

I have to say that having seen the sweater in person, the pictures do not do it justice. The yarn is beautiful and it softened wonderfully. An amazing sweater for an amazing boy on his special day!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Happy belated birthday! You got some great stuff (love that tee, too). Looks like a fun weekend, and the sweater looks wonderful. :)

Knittymama said...

Happy Birthday!

Yay Jackson! He looks pretty dapper. Knew that blocking would work!

Anonymous said...

OH, C! What a great day! And how fun to celebrate your life and birth and Jackson's dedication all with so many loved ones!

Those presents really rock! Way to be the better half Dan!!

NOW...REST
K
ps..that sweater is so beautiful! I knew it would be!

Anonymous said...

Jackson and Mom and Dad,

Wish we could have been there, but you were in our thoughts and prayers on your BIG Day! CONGRATS AND AWESOME PICTURES AND SWEATER!
Uncle Nathan and Aunt Missy & Family