Once again, our CSA has come through for us. An amazing delivery of late summer vegetables and fruit arrived at the Co-op on Friday with our names on it. Oh the joy! Can I just tell you what we got? It'll go fast, and if you're not interested, you can skim or skip...I won't mind.
* Sweetie Melon
* Sweet Red Peppers
* Paste Tomatoes
* Round Red Tomatoes
* Italian Parsley
* French Petite Green Beans
* Dutch Greenhouse Cucumber
* Red Onions
* Colorado Peaches
And would you look at those peaches? Oh they smell good. And oh they look good. That's a dozen peaches just sitting there waiting to drip all over our chins. Very excited to try grilling the peaches and perhaps turning them into some grilled peach salsa...
Speaking of salsa, I made my very first batch of it this weekend and it was awesome! (I can say that because Dan said so...) It was the Tomato Corn Salsa recipe from the Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites cookbook (one of my very favorite cookbooks...the macaroni and cheese on page 203 is incredible!) Every ingredient in the salsa was either from the CSA, our own garden or a roadside stand. I love fresh veggies...
And I especially love beets! I never in a million years thought that I would ever type that. But it's all thanks to the Rock Spring Farm that I love beets. I was so bummed that we didn't get any in our box this week (like we had so little to choose from!) that I had to buy some from the Co-op to round out our dinner on Saturday night. Roasted beets one night, beet greens over brown rice another...yum!
On to more exciting topics...I finished the pants! The stripey pants* for Jackson that were started at the beginning of the summer (was it actually spring?) and either kept dragging on or getting hopelessly forgotten in a whirlwind of summer activity. How worried I was that he would outgrow them before ever getting to try them on! Luckily, as you can see in these photos, that is not the case. I made the 12-18mos size and it looks like Jackson will be able to wear them this fall/winter. Hooray! He seems pretty happy about it too. That or he just woke up from his nap...
Speaking of naps, we've had some pretty cute ones lately. In fact, this one here is the reason I was able to actually finish the pants this weekend. Jackson was playing happily on his play mat when he decided to lay down for a bit. (There are always pillows around to catch a tip-over - he can be trusted to sit up on his own now about 85% of the time, but what do you do with the other 15%?) He was just laying there looking at a book when he nodded off. This has happened before and I always have the classic Mommy struggle in my head when these naps strike: "Do I move him? Do I leave him where he is?" Since he doesn't always "transfer" well, I decided to leave him this time. It worked. One hour and twenty minutes of knitting/finishing time on the floor next to my sleeping babe. I was just weaving in the final tail on his stripey pants when he woke up. What a peach!
By the way, for anyone who's curious, Jackson is now seven months old and weighs about 18 pounds. He's in the middle of his third cold of his entire life right now, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as the last one with the ear infection. And he's still such a generous young lad...since he is sharing this one with his Dear Old Mom too. They say that infants get an average of nine colds in their first year and share seven of them with the 'rents. We're three-for-three in seven months...what does that mean for the next five months?!
* Knitting Details
Yarn: Nature Spun sportweight by Brown Sheep Co. in "Blue Boy" and "Spring Break"
Pattern: "Baby's Denim Drawstring Pants" from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
Needles: US5 circulars (16") + dpns
Gauge: Don't ask me that. There is so much scribbling all over this pattern...why can't I ever just make the item exactly as it's described in the pattern? Why do I always have to mess with gauge, size, number of stitches, etc?!