Saturday, January 20, 2007

iPod Lessons on a Saturday Morning

I escaped this morning for a bit of refueling: decaf mocha with extra foam to refuel my body, iPod to refuel my soul and knitting to refuel my being. (Yes, I am nearly always knitting anyway, but this knitting time was different. It was...gasp!...u.n.i.n.t.e.r.r.u.p.t.e.d.)

I put my iPod on shuffle and was disappointed because 1.) I totally screwed up my iPod a few weeks ago by syncing up to the laptop and I couldn't find anything I wanted but found everything I didn't want (hubby's techno collection does NOT belong on my iPod...) and 2.) every other song was about an animal (think "Old MacDonald") or a lullaby. Oh, how my life has changed. I finally decided to just shuffle among the songs of my very favorite group of all time, U2. Here's what I heard and learned:
1. "Bad"
My favorite song of all time, hands down. It was like Jackson was singing it to me this time though, "I'm wide awake, I'm not sleeping..." Sigh. He has been awake for 4-5 hour stretches in the middle of the night/early morning for the past two nights now with sickness recovery and teething issues all wrapped up into one. I've loved this song for almost 20 years and truly never thought that it would pertain to a toddler child. Oh, how my life has changed. Click here to see a clip of it from Rattle & Hum.

2. "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"
Jumping ahead to some more recent U2 tunes, this song's refrain (the title) was sort of a "woe is me" moment. We need to break free from this new unhealthy routine that is forming in our household...seriously. Jack? Can you sleep tonight? Please? (Click here for the song.)

3. "Pulled Over the Car"
Finally, a break from U2 to another one of my favorite old-time groups, Morphine. This song is sort of a weird, trippy tune (like many Morphine tunes*), but repeats "I felt much, much, much, much, much...better..." many times. Yes, I was definitely feeling much, much better after downing my mocha, knitting my sock and just... sitting...for a while.

Now I'm back at home, the vacuum is going**, Jack is whining and, well, here we are. Peace be with you, wherever you are.
_____________________
* This Morphine tune wasn't available on You Tube, but check out this one. Dude. Morphine rocks. Why did Mark Sandman have to fall down dead on stage? What a sound they had with the drums, the alto sax, the bass and that voice...Viva Morphine.

** Yes, I have a vacuuming husband. I know, things could be much, much, much, much worse.

3 comments:

Melissa Perreault said...

Jackson still not sleeping?!?! UGH!! At least you got this lovely moment of down time, yaaayy!! I'm thinking similar thoughts with hot cocoa and some knitting under a nice warm blankie. Sounds loverly!!

Beemoosie said...

Glad you got some peace time! This too shall pass, gurl! I love my shuffle, it's like your own little piece of paradise!

Anonymous said...

This was so cool. I love U2, but my husband is a huge fan so he got the U2 DVD live from Chicago for Christmas.

Sorry to hear that Jackson isn't sleeping though.