Friday, January 05, 2007

Tofu Socks

I finally cast-on for Dan's Christmas socks. Still a little worried about sizing (since he has huge Hobbit feet, hairy and all!), but I got through the crochet* cast-on and short row toe that's been plaguing my mind for so long. I don't want to tell you how many attempts I made, but let's just say that I'm *really* familiar with this little patch of yarn here. Here it is just before unzipping the crochet cast-on (which actually worked, surprisingly...I just need a really good massage now to help my shoulder muscles recover from the contortions made in efforts to get the stitches back on the needles...).

And here it is just after the surgery. I did it! It's a little frustrating to realize that I'm going to have to do this all over again in order for him to have a pair, but like I said, I had a lot of practice already with this one. Let's just hope I can whip through the rest of this sock quickly so I don't forget how to cast-on again.

Jackson's been big into hugs lately and here he is giving me a big bear one. He throws his hands around my neck and makes the "awww" sound just like his Daddy and I do when we hug him. So sweet. So fun. So rewarding. Does it make up for him waking up at 4am (for the day, mind you), taking only two half-hour naps and crying for the majority of the day yesterday? Yes. It does. Because today he was a little dream baby. And because I love him...so it doesn't matter how crabby he gets. I just wish that those incisors would just grow in already...so we can ALL get some rest...

We do still have time to have fun with our food though. Here's what I made for dinner tonight**. Dan thought he had entered a restaurant tonight when he sat down to dinner. (I don't do lovely presentations like this every night, I'm not *that* crazy.) Marinated baked tofu over spinach & arugula with toasted sesame seeds, cucumber, walnuts, egg, scallions and oil & vinegar. YUM. Dan's fresh baked bread on the side and we had ourselves a delightful meal. Now if only Jackson's teeth would grow in so he could enjoy the salads of this salad-eating household! (He loves the bread though...)
__________________________
*Yes, this means that I actually bought a crochet hook. This does not mean, however, that I crochet.

**That is not some weird set of three mini-chopsticks in the salad photo, just some double-pointed sock needles that didn't get cleared from the table. I was addicted to this sock today I tell you, addicted.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I love the scrunchy nose too! Jackson's getting to be such a big boy - what a fun, fun age. Always good to see your latest, most creative forays, Catherine. I just can't figure out where you find the time! More power to you, happy mama! Hope to see you at the next Bell babies gathering....Becca