Wednesday, February 07, 2007

1200 Pair Sock Drive

Bridge over at MaryJanesFarm posted this awesome recipe on the Forum today and I discovered it just as I was trying to come up with something yummy for dinner. This was definitely yummy. I could have made it low-fat, since we have Earth Balance and soy milk in the house on a regular basis, but we also have real butter sticks left over from holiday baking and whole milk (for Jackson) in the house, so I splurged and used "the real stuff" instead. Still vegetarian, but so not low-fat!
_____________________________
Wonderful White Sauce

• 2 Tbsp Earth Balance margarine (or any margarine/butter)
• 3 Tbsp flour
• 3 tsp bouillon (I used one vegan bouillon cube)
• 1 1/2 cups boiling water
• 1 cup soy milk (or regular milk)
• pepper to taste

In a saucepan melt margarine. Mix flour and bouillon together. Stir the flour mixture into the butter until blended. Gradually add water and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with pepper. Serve over pasta, veggies or just about anything else!
_________________________________
The second sock for The Foot was moving right along, but it's temporarily on hold (along with the good green scarf) while I whip up this pair of socks by Sunday. (For the non-Knitters reading this, no, it's not unusual for Knitters to bounce from project to project like this. I usually try to stick with just one project on my needles, but hey - sometimes you have to mix it up to keep it interesting!)

This is sock #1 of a pair that will be donated to Homeless Connect Minneapolis through my church. They've started a "1200 Pair Sock Drive" that lasts through March 4. Did you know that the most asked-for item from homeless folks at shelters (at least recently, in Minnesota) is a warm pair of socks? Not only is my sock drawer overflowing with too many pairs of socks, but my yarn stash has more than enough yarn for some socks in it. Couldn't resist this opportunity. If you want to contribute some new socks too (handknit or storebought), send me an email (yogurtandgranola AT gmail DOT com) or leave a comment and I'll get you the details.

(Knitty's Universal Toe-up Formula again with Plymouth Encore [75% acrylic, 25% wool] from a swap with Aunt Jenny, on size 6 dpns, sized for a woman's foot...going VERY fast!)

And before I forget, I have to share this amazing box of love that came to me all the way from Alaska last week. Jo over at MJF did a drawing for a box of fabric scraps and I won! I've seen some of Jo's creations with her sewing machine and knew that this would be good. Sure enough, one woman's "leftovers" are another woman's treasures! She included an April Cornell home decorating book and a Rowan knitting catalog too, so sweet.

I'm thinking that I need to have a "No Knitting Week" coming up soon so I will finally pull my sewing machine out and dive in. I have three pairs of pants to fix for Dan (no, Sweetie, I haven't forgotten...) and then it's all fun sewing! I'm thinking patchwork summer skirts. So, yes...there is still time. Given that it's -11 degrees right now.
Jackson loved the box of love from Alaska too...my very own "Jack in the Box!"

No comments: