Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Favorite Recipes

Recipes have been requested and I am happy to oblige!

The Red Lentil Soup that we had last week is a cousin of this recipe from Vegetarian Times. I think I made the original recipe once but have since made it a million times by just throwing in whatever we have. Last week, I used red lentils, carrots, celery, turnips, parsnips, onion, garlic, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, vegetable stock and spices. Yum!

The cinnamon rolls turned out to be very, very tasty and we seriously couldn't believe that they only had 2.5 grams of fat each. Does that mean that you can eat ten of them in one sitting? My husband attempted it...

These delicious rolls came from "Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites" which also happens to be my all-time favorite cookbook. It has wonderful "redux" recipes of the old stand-bys (low-fat homemade mac 'n cheese that actually tastes good and is willingly consumed by my kid!) and new flavors that you can't resist. Off the top of my head, these are my favorites from this "Favorites" collection:
• Three Sisters Stew (corn, beans, squash)
• Greek Stew (tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, lemon juice, feta)
• Homemade Macaroni 'n Cheese
• Tomato Pesto
• Buttermilk Rolls
• Buttermilk Rolls turned into Cinnamon Rolls
• Baked Tofu
• Squash & Kale Risotto

(Wow. It's approaching lunch time around these parts and now I'm *really* hungry!)

I would post the cinnamon roll recipe here, but 1.) That's a lot of re-typing and 2.) I'm sure there are some copyright infringment things involved there. But I do highly recommend that you buy the book. Mine was re-gifted from a friend and like I said, it's my absolute favorite! Happy cooking!
__________________________
p.s. Oh wow. And I just read on the back of my cookbook that the Moosewood Collective authors who contributed to the book will donate 1% of their earnings from the cookbook sales to the Ithaca Breast Cancer Alliance, an organization that provides information, support, and advocacy for people affected by breast cancer. Buy the book in honor of Rebecca!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am actually bummed that I already own the book, if only because that means the IBCA won't get more of my dough (even if Z will!). Thanks for pointing to the source!