Sunday, April 08, 2007

Hogwarts Sock Swap Questionnaire

I just joined the Hogwarts Sock Swap in anticipation of Book #7, (due out on July 21 this year) and am delighted to report on my questionnaire answers for my secret pal:

1. What Hogwarts house have you been sorted into?
Hufflepuff, three times over.

2. Shoe size?
39 for European-sized shoes. 8-9 for American-sized shoes.

3. Foot Length?
9" - 9.25" long - it's different each time I measure. Sometimes my socks fit and sometimes they don't (see Koigu sock in previous post).

4. Foot Circumference?
8"

5. List your three favorite double-point needle brands, including size and length.
• I feel incredibly terrible saying this because they're so expensive, but a Hufflepuff is honest. I love Lantern Moon Sox Stix (I have size US2 in rosewood). But seriously, don't get these for me...way over the top!
• I think my other favorite sock dpns are Brittanys. I have another set of US2 and one set of US3 in bamboo (or are they birch?). I'm a big fan of the 5" or 6" dpns over the longer ones.
• I don't do metal or plastic.

6. Would you like to try a new brand needle? If so, which brand? Size? Length?
I would love to have some good-quality birch or bamboo dpns in size US1, 5" long (6" is fine too). I have a set of hand-made birch US6 straights that are definitely among my needle favorites and I think it's because of the extra hand-made love. I'm not very familiar with other brands, but am open to new things.

7. Are you willing to have an international Hogwarts Sock Pal?

Yes!

This wasn't one of the questions, but I will add here that I'm also a yarn-snob (aren't most of us?). Only natural fibers, please! (Though a bit of nylon or elastic is fine.)

I'm very excited to find out who my partner is and get going on some socks to celebrate The Summer of Harry Potter (movie #5 on July 13 and then book #7 a week later!).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from your Hogwart's Spoiler! My owl is nursing an injured wing (I think she's faking it) so I must rely upon this muggle form of communication. I'm excited to start knitting your socks. Sincerely, Hagitha Twittlesnap

Rob and Maria said...

Super cool! This is funny Catherine. I think I may try....check out new post to mrandmrsme blog...sending soon!

Debra said...

You *must* try Crystal Palace DPS. They're the best on the market!

Catherine said...

You know, Debra, I HAVE tried Crystal Palace dpns! I completely forgot until your comment. I have lots of CP straights and I do believe that my US2 dpns are CPs too. Are CPs bamboo and Brittanys birch? I think I have a good mix of both. Thanks for the comment!