Welcome to the Buy Nothing Summer Camp Program!
At this camp, you will find freedom from the malls and big-box stores that bring you down with the incessant "just one more thing" mentality. Don't think of it as not allowing yourself to buy anything, but instead, not needing to buy anything. You don't even have to leave the comforts of your home* for this camp and will be pleasantly surprised with what you'll find to entertain you right under your nose (games, a basement full of camping and outdoors equipment, a toddler who is just learning to explore the world, and a certain yarn stash...).
Of course, an allowance to buy groceries and a few other items found on the "necessities" list (see below) is included in the camp plan. Just think of all the money you'll save by the end of the summer!
Camp dates: June 1 - August 31, 2007
Camp fee: nada, zero, zilch
- weekly groceries with a budget and a list
- household supplies (toilet paper, laundry soap, etc.)
- two tanks of gas per month (when the gas is gone, don't forget about the bikes!)
- unexpected Jackson items (in case he grows two inches and needs clothes or something)
- camping fees
- one-time yarn purchase IF there is a yarn store in the Adirondacks while visiting in-laws, otherwise, the yarn stash can hold its own
- weekly stipend of $10 cash per participating adult for coffees, etc., "just in case"
- one night dining out allowed per week, and we're not talking fancy restaurants here
If it didn't make the "necessities" list, then it's on the "no buy" list and will be ignored this summer. (Preliminary research with the y&g household has shown that simply ignoring desired items tends to make the desire to purchase them go away over time.)
We're sure that your family will enjoy the ease with which simply saying "no" to spending money for entire summer will come. Welcome to financial freedom! Have a great summer.
p.s. There are still plenty of spaces left in our summer camp program for other willing participants. If enough people want to register for this program along with the y&g household, we would be willing to establish a blog to track progress and encourage our "campers." To register, simply leave a comment on this post. Who knows where this could take us?
To register, send an email to yogurtandgranola AT gmail DOT com. You will receive an invitation to our blog: buynothingsummer.blogspot.com!