• Do not love aluminum knitting needles and acrylic yarn, but love finishing up a patchwork baby blanket of squares knit by my late aunt for her grandson whom she never met.* Love that my aunt was a great knitter (far better than these acrylic squares can show) and that working on this project makes me think of her. Do not love that she died before I learned to knit so I never got to share this with her. Would love to be able to tell her: "Aunt Barbara, I knit now."
• Love that the previous owners of our home planted lilies all over the backyard. Love this color:
• and this color:
• and this color too.
• Love elf hats and cutie booties in the flower garden, even though the photo is blurry and they are camouflaged in the woodchips. Love knitting them up quickly this week for my cousin's baby shower this weekend.
• Love watching my tomato plants grow. Love watching the other plants in our tiny vegetable plot grow too, but they were a gift from our neighbor and I can't remember if they're Brussels sprouts or eggplants. Love the anticipation of waiting to find out which yummy vegetable we'll get to cook up (yes, I could ask...but that's not as much fun).
• Love waking up early on a chilly Friday morning while my boys are still sleeping. Love that Dan is sleeping soundly now, considering that he worked 40 hours straight this week (yes, I mean straight: 6am one day to 10pm the next day with just one half hour of sleep on the company couch). Love that we have a long weekend in front of us now and can't wait to see my cousins, aunts and uncles at our family reunion.
• love, friday
* The squares were just knit squares that my aunt must have done to pass the time. She didn't intend for them to be a baby blanket, as far as I know. She had knit a sweater for every member of her family before she died eight years ago, including her four grandchildren. A fifth grandchild was born last summer so it only seemed fitting the he should get *something* knit by his grandma. Now...I just need to finish it up before the weekend!