Sunday, October 07, 2007

Poised for Battle with Corn Casserole

Sorry about the lack of love, friday last week, folks. It's not that there wasn't anything to love, but rather the disgusting, off-season heat and humidity got to me and I could barely take care of daily business, let alone post to my blog. I'm finally able to post tonight because 1.) we turned on the A/C (in October...who would have thought?!) and 2.) we are "officially ignoring the weather" in our house today.
Yep, that's right. We are making it very fall-like indoors and completely disregarding the passersby who are wearing flip-flops and tank tops. Not that we're suffering indoors with wool sweaters and all (not yet...), we're still sensibly dressed in the y&g household this evening. Instead, we focused on the flavors of the house...

Tonight I love:

• vegetarian chili made with beer that makes the house smell good as it simmers all afternoon...

• corn casserole that is really just cornbread on a high-fat diet baking in the oven...

• hot apple cider simmering on the stove with cinnamon sticks...

• candles burning on the buffet and a table set for dinner...

• enjoying that dinner with good friends, Cookie + Andii.

I also loved the dessert plate that I put together with mochi*, dark chocolate with hemp/pumpkin/sunflower seeds, maple cookies and ginger candies. THAT was fun.
Also to be loved tonight and far into this week are the gorgeous gladiolas that C+A brought for us. Such blooms! Such flowery abundance! I used to have flowers all the time and stopped for some reason...these make me wonder why. So beautiful!
I wish I could share with you all the smells and feel of my living room right now. Orange Halloween lights glowing in the sun room, lights dimmed in the living room, dishwasher going for "soft acoustics," a pumpkin bread candle burning and a cat sleeping next to me on the couch. Oh yeah, and my knitting also sitting next to me, poised for the minute that I log off here.

Who cares that it was 84 degrees today with almost matching humidity? We're full-on into the Autumn season indoors and are fully prepared to keep the A/C on to fight this last battle with Summer to the death**. Bring it on. I've got leftover corn casserole to get me through the week.
__________________________
*Mochi is a delightful little Japanese dessert that I had never heard of until I joined the Vegan Swap. Too bad that I bought the "candy" version instead of the real thing. It was good, but we totally have to sample true mochi next time.

**Autumn is gaining a strong-hold on the war tonight. The promised rains that may bring the temps down as early as tomorrow just started. Add "rain pounding on the roof" to my list of sensory pleasures for tonight!

6 comments:

Kimara said...

Oooh! I love mochi! Where do you get yours?

Aunt Jenny said...

WHAt?? We have had snow 3 times in the last week and you in Minnesota have warm weather?? Freaky..Freaky I say!!!!
Have a great week..your autumn feast sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

C-I'm with you on the weather thing. I was actually angry when I went outside yesterday. Thankfully, it feels like the cool weather has started to arrive. See you soon!

TinkingBell said...

Yum - can I come over to your place for Dinner? As for your freak weather - here we are in late spring and we have snow on the mountains, hail, gales, raing and cold cold cold!! - Swap?

yarn4kalei said...

Sweet Mochi is so easy to make. You can make it yourself at home in the microwave! :0) Buy a box of Mochiko (japanese sweet rice flour) and they have the recipe right on the box. You can just substiture whatever flavor you want. There recipe is cocoa but I like to make it with coconut milk! YUM! Plus it is totally vegan and you can add as much or as little sugar as you want.

Rob and Maria said...

Sounds so cozy and wonderful inside! Even if the weather outside was a bit unusual for this time of year....Glad that you guys are getting into the Autumn groove!