Monday, December 17, 2007

34 Years Young

Happy Birthday to me,
Happy Birthday to me,
Happy Birthday dear meeeeeeeeee........
Happy Birthday to me!

And Happy Birthday also to Abbie, Sarah, Char, Nick, + a handful of other people who's names I can't remember but who also share this birthday! It seems that I'm always running into folks with December 17th birthdays. What a great day to be born!

And what a great day it is in Connecticut today, where I am visiting with my in-laws. I'll have more photos to share from our camera when we get home, but for now you'll have to just imagine the incredible view from the window as I type this. There was a "nor'easter" that dumped about a half-foot of snow on the area just before we arrived and there have been two rain/snow/ice/sleet storms since. But today is beautiful...bright blue winter sky, crisp white landscape and a sheen of ice over the whole world. The trees look like glass...positively beautiful.

All I wanted for my birthday this year was to go ice skating. I haven't been in a few years now, but I SO love ice skating. I couldn't go in 2005 because I was super big pregnant. I couldn't go in 2006 because I had a teeny kid on my heels all the time. So I thought that 2007 would be the return year for me. Alas...I have been told in no uncertain terms by my mother and my husband that I should not go ice skating even this year because I'm pregnant. Even though I'm not super big pregnant, I could still fall and...yadda...yadda...yadda. (I'm so rolling my eyes...why do husbands and moms have to be so...CARING?!)

Anyway, fine. So I won't go ice skating. Again (pouting). But my dear husband did get me the best birthday present in the world to make up for it: two tickets to see the Men's Short Program of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in St. Paul in January. I can't wait to go!! Thank you, Dan!!!

I did find a way to go "ice skating" anyway this weekend, since we discovered this parking lot that was completely covered in a thin sheet of ice when we visited the ocean with Jackson (that's where the above photo was taken too). How could I help but go skating?!

14 comments:

Laura said...

Happy Birthday!

a day in the life of a davis said...

Happy Birthday, sweet cousin. I hope your day was so special. I miss ice skating, too! I am glad you got to sudo-skate!
Love you,

Momma said...

Happy birthday, Catherine! Hope you all have a fun trip!

Chris said...

Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I checked your blog just in case you happened to write while on vacation. Sounds like you are having fun. Simon is doing well, but misses you. :)

Rebecca said...

LOVE the "skating" photo!

Bonnie said...

happy birthday!

LaVerna said...

Happy Birthday!

TinkingBell said...

Hippo birdy 2 ewe, Hippo birdy 2 ewe!!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Great skating photo.

Gin said...

Happy birthday dear cousin! You know what this means:) less than a month until my birthday. We may have to figure out the exact middle day and celebrate both then...hope the rest of your trip was great.

Bonnie said...

Even though I have already said "Happy Birthday" I was just rereading your post and remembering that I have always appreciated (and loved your for) your unashamed love and excitment for your birthday. You are a joy.

:-)

Heide said...

Happy Birthday! My youngest daughter, Ashley, is also a December 17th birthday. She turned 7 yesterday. Love all of the pictures, thank you for sharing.