Sunday, May 03, 2009

FO Report: Lime Sherbet Socks

Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Happy Feet DK, color 56, 90% superwash merino, 10% nylon, 262 yards (almost used 1 skein exactly)
Pattern:
"Waving Lace Socks" (Rav link) by Evelyn A. Clark from Favorite Socks

Gauge:
I don't know and I already wrapped them

Needles:
US4
Size:
women's shoe size 7
Started:
4/25/09
Finished:
4/28/09

I went to the yarn store last week to buy buttons (I swear, I just went to buy buttons!). I may be on a yarn diet but I can't help but wander a little when in the presence of yarn. I stumbled on the sock yarn section and had this yarn off the shelf, up on the counter and my credit card out before I could even say "cast-on." The colors in this yarn are SO my mom. She drives a green VW bug, wears lime green and turquoise things as often as she can, and is drawn to anything we call "Grama Green" around my house. And though knitting a pair of socks in just one week is tough in most circumstances, I was pretty sure that I could whip something together given that it was DK yarn.
These socks positively FLEW off my needles. Such a great pattern, such smooshy soft yarn, such fun colors to keep me in the spring-y mood...it was easy to pull them off in under a week. But I even surprised myself on this one and finished them in just three days.

I cast-on 48 stitches instead of the 64 the pattern calls for to account for the heavier weight yarn and made appropriate adjustments along the way. Other than that, no changes to the pattern and I'm pretty sure I'll be knitting this one again someday. I could possibly be a covert back to cuff-down socks again after these...something about doing the heel flap and gusset was totally fun this time. We'll see...

Happy birthday Mom! By the time everyone is reading this post, we'll already be rolling out of the restaurant after a yummy birthday brunch and you'll have received your socks. I hope you like them!

P.S. As usual, the camera and monitor cannot accurately capture the color of my yarns, so just imagine these socks as a bit more "lime sherbet-y." The name is truly appropriate.

2 comments:

Aunt Jenny said...

They are just beautiful! I have wondered about that pattern. I love that book! I am knitting the retro rib socks from the book and love how they are turning out (in a trekking sock yarn with blues and browns mostly) and will no doubt try this one some time. I love happy feet...such nice yarn to work with. Your mom will love them for sure!
I always have to have a simple thing going at the same time as anything with a pattern I am finding...but I sure love fancy socks so I will keep trying. Maybe this pattern will be next.
Have a great week with your little cuties!

Cloudberry said...

Beautiful socks! I'm thinking about casting on for a pair in this pattern ;)