Monday, December 04, 2006

Cold Treasure

Treasure = a box of original Granny Squares crocheted by my Great-Grama!

My Aunt just passed it off to me to turn them into...something, anything! This is so cool. I remember fighting over the Granny Square blanket that she gave to my family and using the Granny Square pillows in pillow fights as a child. I had no idea that she just kept going and crocheted an entire box of squares to be made into things.

So, what should I make? Afghans and pillows are totally options. But are there any other cool ideas out there for Granny Squares? Do I have to *crochet* them together? (Sorry, but you must know that I'm cringing a bit when I ask that, I'm not a crocheter, I'm a Knitter!) Do let me know in the comments!

In case you're wondering why my living room has been so cold lately, I've figured it out (I know you're not wondering, because I haven't been complaining here on the blog, but believe me, I've been complaining). Turns out that Jackson has made a new game of closing the heat vents. Huh. Never woulda thought of that if I hadn't actually witnessed him doing it. I mean, it IS a dial on the floor that makes air come out of it or...stop coming out of it. Fascinating if you're 10-months old going on toddlerhood, just fascinating. Guess I'll stop worrying about finishing Audrey II quickly or knitting up a few quick sweaters to keep warm...now I just have to teach my boy to stop making the house cold! Yeah, I know...good luck.

4 comments:

wendy harbaugh said...

you can stitch them together you do not have to crochet them. lets see retro 70's stuff is still a little trendy of course there is blanket, pillows, ponchos, vests, hats, scarfs all very 70's in style the colors are so vivid and bright it would be a very lovely blanket or two.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say what sunshine said. What a great gift to get! I'm sure you're going to have great fun figuring out what to do with them all.

Anonymous said...

Oh, those granny squares are wonderful! And I wouldnt think you'd have to crochet them together. I'd just slip stitch them together. I saw a pillow done with these squares as the front...so cool!

Knittymama said...

That must have been THE color scheme back then. I have an afghan, crocheted by my Great-Gram that is a dead ringer for your pile of squares. Cool.