Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Healthy Socks

My Hot Socks Swap package arrived today! This was a swap through MaryJanesFarm and everyone's just had so much fun with it. I love seeing the fun stuff that the Farmgirls are sending around to one another!

Mine came from Marcia in Washington state and had the coolest stuff: Vogue Knitting Socks pattern book, "Zen and the Art of Knitting," Good Earth Vanilla Decaf Chai tea and Moroccan Mint green tea, Dove dark chocolates, a beautiful handmade card, and "Wildfoote" Luxury Hand-Painted Sock Yarn from Brown Sheep Co. in "Symphony." How cool! I can't wait to sit down with my chocolates and my teas and browse some sock patterns!

It's been a pretty amazing few days since I last posted. Amazing in a bad way. Jackson got the latest stomach bug that has been going around and it came down on our house in a major way Saturday night. Lovely to be barfed on in the middle of the night by your child...in the dark...when your husband is out of town. And so began our weekend. I plan to offer a "Sick Child Solo-Parenting" course once I recover from this experience or actually learn enough to teach it, whichever comes first. (With Grama as the lead instructor, since she did come over at midnight that first night plus a few more times over the weekend to help with clean-up and moral support!)

Dan just returned home tonight, Jack is finally better (after lots of vomitting, lots of diarrhea, lots of temperature ups and downs and one trip to Urgent Care), I'm finally better (had a small bout of it myself this morning) and life *may* return to normal now. There is no longer a schedule of any kind in our household, but I'm just glad to take Jack Sleep Time whenever it comes. The nights have been hell, to say the least.

And of course, I was more than a little paranoid about this stomach bug considering what happened last time. So to squash my dehydration fears: PediaLyte to the rescue! That and lots of good old nursing. Slowly getting back on solid foods today. Two steps forward, one step back...

Wishing you all good health and good sock yarn!
_______________________
Yes, that is a cat that can be seen in the photo of the little sick Jackson on the floor. That's Simon and he's here visiting for a while. Mama Grouch and her husband are testing cat allergies by sending Simon away for a bit and our home is his little vacation spot. If the allergies do, in fact, improve while he's away and he fits in with our family, he may end up staying here. That would be fine by me - he's a dear, sweet cat. Never left my side through this whole illness fiasco as if he was trying to help. Sweet kitty...
_______________________
The Lopsided Sock is doing well - it wasn't lopsided after all, I just tried it on The Foot too early, as suspected. It's looking awesome, though stalled halfway up the cuff due to another knitting project that I can't tell you about. Gift knitting. Not a good topic for blogs when the gift recipient is a reader!

3 comments:

LaVerna said...

Bless your heart!These things always happen when Dad is gone.My son decided to go down the slide on his skateboard when he was 5.Of course my husband was out of town.An emergency room visit and 5 staples to the back of the head is what Dad missed out on.That's why now it time to teach my oldest to drive-Dad can handle that one!
Glad your baby is feeling better.

Melissa Perreault said...

I'm glad Jackson is on the upswing, this flu thing has been the nastiest this year!!! Glad you are surving it too!! I am here holding your hand, poor mommy. Us mommies gotta stick together!!

I knew the sock would be fine, you do such a good job that it couldn't have been wrong!! Can't wait to see it done!

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like you had a rough few days! Glad to hear that Jackson is feeling better. Btw, I love the sock and I had to laugh at the hobbit feet comment. I was told in high school that I had hobbit feet (small and hairy) I became really paranoid and now get my feet waxed whenever I get my legs done...