Monday, January 08, 2007

Lopsided Sock?

This sock was really making me happy today until The Foot came home and tried it on. It's not The Foot's fault. The sock actually fits The Foot. This is a good thing. But I was horrified to discover that the sock appeared...lopsided.

I was all set to write a post seeking advice (frog pond or "keep on going, it's just a sock" sort of advice) but I noticed on the third fitting (The Foot was getting really irritated with The Knitter at this point) that maybe it wasn't really lopsided but it was just too early to be trying it on.

I mean, we needed the fitting today to make sure that the heel was long enough before going all the way up the cuff, of course. And that passed with flying colors (and he was at work all day, pretty darn good on my part).

But I mean that maybe it was too early to do a fitting for the pattern since the heel is so tiny still and therefore slips around and doesn't stay in place. The slightest little nudge got the pattern to line up just fine.

Am I crazy?

(In Knitters' Speak, we're talking 68 sts around, 34 sts on top of foot in k3p1 rib, adjusted since 34 isn't a multiple of 4 by starting and ending with a knit that blended into the Stst of the foot - the cuff will be k3p1 too. Can you see how one side of the ribbing is in the right spot in one photo but not the other? I repeat, am I crazy?)
___________________
I'm sorry StickChick. Really, I am. I mean, your vicarious sock knitting experience should be through a better sock knitter than me!

The Foot is rumored to have a reading of "The Hobbit" book (pictured here) coming up soon over a few (many) winter nights. We're still sans TV, and given that we've seen the trilogy (on the laptop) umpteen times, it's time to start a good, old-fashioned storytelling time.

I hope the Storyteller's feet aren't too cold, considering that this sock is bringing out the perfectionist in me (what doesn't?) and may take a while!

2 comments:

Melissa Perreault said...

No, no, I can't think of better to watch sock knitting then you. I don't think the sock is crooked! It looks great, I think like you said, it's still early and slippy.

It is a WONDERFUL hobbit sock. Any hobbit foot would be happy to have it. Heck, my normal feet would be too so phooey if the hobbit foot is unhappy.

Anonymous said...

I love your socks!!! Even if they are crooked or not. Can you crochet socks? I always see them being knitted and I dont know how to knit?!?!