Monday, April 07, 2008

superkalifragilisticexpialidocious

I was inspired to make play-dough at home today by my friend Hege in Norway and my nap-less son. Hege got the idea in my head again after being tucked way in the back of my brain for many moons, but Jackson quickly showed me that it was a GOOD idea for today, considering the lack of sleep.

It was one of those days here when I could have chosen to battle my boy all day or realize that it's hard to sleep when you're not tired or out-of-sorts. Today, I chose the Mary Poppins route. It's not something that I can do each time this happens with the snap of my fingers, but I was happy to find that today, I did have that bottomless carpet bag of tricks that Mary Poppins carries around and a thick skin to handle him. (It was also easier knowing that I get to escape tonight to my UU Stitchers knitting group at church! [Unitarian-Universalist])

Play-Dough, a la ECFE

Combine in saucepan (non-stick works well):
• 1 cup flour
• 1/4 cup salt
• 1 tsp cream of tartar

Stir in:
• 1 cup water
• 1 Tbsp oil
• food coloring

Cook over medium heat until set (should be slightly sticky - do not overcook)

Remove from heat and add:
• 1 Tbsp imitation vanilla

Knead. Store in plastic bag or air-tight container when cool. Do not refrigerate.

This was surprisingly easy and fun to make. Off to play with my son, after I take another spoonful of sugar to make it easier!

3 comments:

ikisti said...

Ooo that sounds like fun. Good colors too.

Cloudberry said...

Oh, you have so much brighter colors "over there".

Have a great week!
We've started potty training here and it's going well! I'm so glad Endre is just weraing diapers when he sleeps or being outside.

Becca said...

Play dough...it's like a little gift from heaven when you've got a crabby toddler on your hands. We all love it too - and I think I use the exact same recipe! The cookie cutters and pastry cutter are washed on a daily basis, thanks to much time spent in the 'dough. :D Becca